Thursday, October 15, 2015

Belittling America

I must say, I never enjoyed being "compared" growing up.  Mom used to do that all the time, and I just wanted to be appreciated for my own qualities.  Had I taken comparisons to heart, I would not have achieved what I have up to this point, nor would I have met and had wonderful relationships with the majority of people, places and things that are dear to my heart ... and soul.

On a larger scale, I'm tired of the USA being compared to other countries.  People, many of them Americans, continuously throw out information to support how crummy we are or have become.  Some of the smartest people I know never even completed high school.  Medical care not being the best?  Well, I don't know anyone who will not die -- one way or another.  You get my point.

Shame on people who do not take advantage of the resources available to them here to improve their quality of life, and shame on those who abuse those resources.  If a person is surrounded by creeps of the world, whose fault is that?  At least in this country, you can probably go to over 80% of it and get along quite comfortably and safely.  There are few places outside of the USA I would have that sense of security and care.  Cycles are part of life -- ANY life, animated or not.  It's exhausting to always be on top, so we take dips here and there.

I don't need comparisons to other countries to recognize a need for improvement right in my own back yard.  And I believe there is a good number of people who are constantly trying to improve areas that have or are going through a down cycle.  We just have to be willing to remain diligent; and doing so, I believe, is part of the American spirit.

Copyright © October 2015 by Maeke Ermarth
                   Cheyenne, WY

No comments:

Post a Comment