Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Two Sides of Gossiping

Gossip runs rampant everywhere, despite hearing that we should not do it .  The best I can do is to try to keep it in perspective.  Sometimes gossip is a good thing.  I've no doubt been kept from being a victim of people with sinister intentions because of the gossip I would hear about them.  Conversely, sometimes a negative impression I have about someone changes to me having a better opinion of him/her based on comments other people have made that allow me to see the person in a different light.  And numerous times when trying to get a gift for someone, it has been revealed through gossip what types of things a person likes and appreciates.  Very helpful!

On my side, if I have something to contribute to a conversation about someone, I try (albeit not always successfully) to remember to question my own intention for doing so because I am the one who will have to live with the consequences of my words.  Secondly, I need to ask myself if I am stating facts or am I just "spinning" unfounded speculation?  Especially during the holiday season, when so many emotions tend to surface and anxieties increase, it is worthwhile to take a few minutes to justly filter what we hear and say before we digest it.  And then continue that practice throughout the year.  Happy holidays!

Copyright © November 2017 by Maeke Ermarth
               Ocean City, MD


No comments:

Post a Comment