Monday, February 12, 2024

Victim No More


I am SO tired of the "victim" mentality Americans have embraced for the past few generations. Luckily, my dad was a realist, and it was pretty hard not feeling like a victim under his tutelage. After 20 years of listening A LOT to addicts of all different types, I am forever convinced of my attitude towards addictions & attractions: "To thine own self be true." What do you want for yourself ... the results of how you become when using or indulging or being irresponsible in any way, shape or form? Your mind, body and soul are like your own little trinity -- 3-in-1. Don't be half-assed & take care of only one part of you. Protect and care for all three of you.

If keeping a score card helps, use it. If establishing your own code of behavior and then experience life on your terms without a calendar or clock, use it. That is my preference because it helps me make my way of living a habit and done more automatically with each passing second.

Is it forever? Yes, if I want good consequences. In American society, if I want to be a "good" spouse, I will be loyal and trustworthy. Are there outside distractions and temptations? Daily. Why not "give in," then? Because I have established a self-imposed code that, to me, provides me a better quality of life. Is it always enjoyable? Hell no. But is it worth it in the big picture for my little trinity? Absolutely -- and I will not let myself down, for any reason, and I need make no excuses nor apologies for it. While maturing, God has taught me to be, and supported me in being, my own best friend and remedy. There's no free-er feeling than that, for me. 

Copyright © February 10, 2024, by Maeke Ermarth
                           Cheyenne, WY



No comments:

Post a Comment