Monday, May 23, 2016

Happy Memorial Day

I am a Marine's daughter. I mourn the loss of our military troops; but then, I mourn the loss of anyone who has died ... military or civilian. Even for the enemy -- as I feel saddened of what I believe would have been a better life to know but never was. A tragic loss. But I am happy (which is not the same as “joyful”) on Memorial Day because Americans take the time to remember and honor OUR now-deceased troops. It is, for me, heartfelt gratitude for the men and women who believed serving was worthwhile so we ALL could have the best of what America has to offer. What would make me terribly sad would be that any one of them was forgotten. I was raised on "No man left behind." I cling to that conviction for those in the past, present, and future. And on Memorial Day -- none of our military’s lives are left behind nor forgotten.

Copyright © May 2016 by Maeke Ermarth
               Ocean City, Maryland

No comments:

Post a Comment