Thursday, February 25, 2016

Get Out ... Wise Up

No price tag can be placed on the value of mingling with and speaking to people.  So much wisdom is relayed through actions and words.  We learn how we would like to be, how we should be, how we do not want to be, and how we should not be.  We also learn how much we are like other people which can be crucial in finding out a lot about ourselves – sometimes to the point of that knowledge being mentally, emotionally, or spiritually stabilizing. 

In my second year of being a Realtor®, my office broker emphasized the importance of getting out and talking to the everyday person.  No classroom, books, or in-office chit chat could educate us to the level that communicating with and experiencing the home buying, selling or renting process with potential clients could.  Oh, was he right!  And what peace of mind and self-assurance that added insight provided.

Although retired, most days of the week I am volunteering in areas that keep me in contact with people from various backgrounds and experiences.  In college I majored in psychology just out of my curiosity of how the mind, body and soul connect – not to go into the field on a professional level.  Not surprising, then, my ultimate entertainment is watching how people interact with their own selves as well as how they interact with each other. 

So often, through my volunteer segments, I am around people suffering in some way emotionally, spiritually or psychologically.  And frequently I see people in counseling capacities doing more dis-service to these people than serving them well.  Do I think the “professionals” do this intentionally?  To be honest, for the most part – no.  But I am pretty sure some do.  After all, if it’s of monetary benefit, greed and even a need to feel important can become powerful culprits.

I cannot begin to fathom how many tens of thousands of dollars I have probably saved over the years thanks to the education on a variety of topics I have gained by chatting with people at work but also getting myself into groups in my spare time – bible studies, book clubs, being a member of the League of Women Voters, attending Al-Anon meetings, helping out at community yard sales, being in an exercise class, going on or attending community hikes/bike rides/events, volunteering at the jail and VA Medical Center.  A few lessons I’ve learned, for example, are:

- Warding off depression, anxiety, victimization, boredom and procrastination.
- Learning how to deal with the effects of drug or alcohol use.
- Learning about available resources, contractors and experts for just about everything.
- Learning that behaviors a counselor was convinced needed massive group therapy sessions turned out to simply be a female mid-life shift “cured” with less than a year’s worth of hormone replacements.
- Escalating back pain over 10 yrs. was helped immensely in a yoga class which sparked my curiosity about acupuncture.  Three acupuncture sessions and I’ve had no problem since that I could not quickly remedy myself.  Whew!  No more chiropractor appointments or potential surgery.
- Reducing chronic arthritis in hands and wrists, the pain of which was greatly reduced by not consuming night-shade plants (in my case, particularly tomatoes & white potatoes).
- Totaling eliminating residual pain in hands and wrists with one platelet-rich-plasma (PRP) treatment.
- Applying mentholated chest rub to toenails to get rid of fungus (no prescription needed).
- Learning amazingly cheap and short-cut cleaning tips.
- Finding simple and inexpensive ways to provide pet care:  distemper shots/drops, nail clipping, dental care, ear care.

Yes – get out and continue life’s never-ending education.  You will be impressed with the number and variety of benefits you will gain in doing so!

Copyright © February 2016 by Maeke Ermarth
                   Cheyenne, WY




No comments:

Post a Comment