Sunday, March 19, 2017

Divine Feminine - The Significance

Who or what is divine?  Who or what is feminine?  Answers differ depending on who is being asked.  Clear that from my mind.  Focus on me.  What do the words “divine” and “feminine” bring to my mind and, particularly, what does my mind evince when the words are placed together – divine feminine?

Divine, to me, conjures up being godlike, miraculous or, at the very least, extraordinarily different yet benevolent.  Feminine is to be anatomically female or possessing the characteristics – positive or negative -- society has identified as being female.  People worldwide easily recognize Mother Mary, Mother Theresa and Florence Nightingale as valued examples of divine and feminine.
 
Historically, St. Paul the apostle told a congregation that all believers are saints, and he made no reference to gender.  I will not argue his statement.  In fact, I will go even beyond “believers” and say that I believe the divine and feminine exist within every woman.  To release them, she needs only to recognize them and follow their paths.
    
One amazing feat that separates the boys from the girls is the females’ unique ability to incubate, nourish, and produce life.  Beyond the physical ability to do so, women in general possess this ability metaphorically as well.  They incubate and nourish the seeds within all of us and help bring forth our inner selves that otherwise might forever remain dormant.  Such was the case in my childhood with our maid in Florida, Freddie Mae, during the era when segregation still existed but was on the proper path to its decline.

Freddie Mae was the first divine feminine I endeared, and she will forever feel like my lifeline to the world.  I never knew her last name, but the name is insignificant; it is her soul and influence that were --and are to this day.  When Freddie Mae was present, so was Respect, Wisdom and Calm.  While working quietly and innocuously in the background, she had total command and control of the household; and yet, she was able to give us the illusion that we did.  Oh, the grace of her courtesy toward and her insight into all the dynamics surrounding her were treasured gifts!  Being the youngest of three girls, I had the privilege of spending much of her working day in her presence where I experienced the greatest classroom of all time.  Just being near her made me feel safe, proud of myself, and hungry for the qualities and smarts she possessed.

“Never apologize for nor feel guilty or ashamed of whom you are” was the mantra she insisted I seer into my heart and soul.  She also instructed me not to be pompous because everyone, in some fashion, is rich and worthy.  Just as importantly, she always took time to listen to me and allowed herself to be approachable with anything in or on my heart.  When elated, she shared my joy and happiness.  When puzzled, she shared my confusion.  When hurt, she felt my pain.  Between her nurturing my belief in God due to a childhood encounter with Him -- that my own mother excused as me seeing shadows from trees outside, but Freddie Mae never doubted or questioned my life-altering experience – and her arms always open to receive me so long as I was sincere and without malice, I still believe to this day she was an angel placed before me as a figure to emulate since I was/am female and she, most assuredly, was divine.
                           
Throughout my life I have been blessed with the acquaintances and friendships of many “sisters” who were and are also divine feminine.  I have had many callings in my life that I believe are divine, and I know without a doubt that being feminine has produced good results when I attempt to answer the calls.  My biological father used to tells us girls, “If you want to be successful in life:  Act like a woman, but think like a man.”  When I think back on the more prominent female influences in my life, those ladies most assuredly fit my father’s definition of a successful woman.

Divinity cuts both ways.  Femininity not so much.  I believe each gender has a tad of the other in terms of mind and spirit; however, I also believe that the masculine and feminine will forever remain distinctly autonomous yet powerful.  Therein explains why I have extracted long-held feelings and thoughts from people who would not have been so forthcoming with a “brother.”  It also explains why I take some of my concerns to “sisters” who I know can carry a torch and obtain positive results.  Many qualities are unique to the divine and the feminine.  It behooves me to recognize and honor them.  We who are feminine need to embrace the qualities of the feminine and the divine so we, too, can respectfully bring forth and share the abilities that exist within each of us.  Just as fate in a proverb whispers to a lady warrior, “You cannot withstand the storm,” the lady warrior whispers back, “I am the storm.”

How is honor to be expressed to the divine feminine in our lives and to those who came before we were even a thought?  For myself, I have a pattern of adopting qualities of the divine feminine that should never die that I feel capable of incorporating into my own being.  Sometimes I am daring and will take in qualities about which I am uncertain I can model well.  If successful – I keep them.  If not, I let them go and hope someone less inept will take them and carry them forward.

With that, I will end this piece, go stand before a mirror and ask myself, “Am I divine feminine?”  If not, I have a lot of homework to do.  If I am, I have a lot of homework to continue.

Copyright © March 2017 by Maeke Ermarth 
                Ocean City, Maryland

No comments:

Post a Comment